So, how’s your self-discipline doing ? …
Up to 95% of our decisions and actions are completed on autopilot
The remaining 5% require conscious choices and self-discipline
We have a limited daily budget of self-control, which may already be used up managing our emotions in times of greater stress
So we have the unhappy combo of needing more self-discipline than usual, whilst having less to spare
The solution is to rely less on self-discipline and instead increase
To boost MOTIVATION we need to
Reconnect with our REASONS for doing something
Get a blank sheet and write out your answers – be specific:
- WHY do I want to do this?
- What’s getting in the way?
- What can I do to overcome these barriers?
- What actions can I take to get going?
Tips to reconnect with your WHYs:
- Towards Pleasure” eg I want to feel in control and know I’m doing a good job
- Away from Pain” – if I don’t exercise I will lose my fitness levels, put on weight, negatively impact my mood and my confidence
- Internal – because I want to do it for myself – generating lasting motivation
- External – because someone else wants me to do it – generating a short term boost
- Imagine having successfully completed your task – visualise that moment in time:
– Where are you? What are you thinking, feeling, doing?
– Who are you with?
– Close your eyes and create as much of that moment as you can
– Build the emotion as intensely as possible NOW write your Whys
- Then repeat the exercise imagining yourself having failed to complete your task
- Given the current uncertainty, it may be difficult to connect to a motivating future BUT “This too shall pass” and where do you want to be when it has?
Other Quick Motivation Boosters:
- Do the hardest stuff first
- Take one small step – success breeds success
- Don’t let the perfect get in the way of the good
- 5 minute Rule – you can do anything for 5 mins
- Power 1/2 hour – set the clock and go hell for leather for 30 mins – it’s amazing how much you can get done
- Do something today that your future self will be proud of 🙂
And of course, I’m here to support you – online or face to face in Acton, Chiswick or Windsor.
Wishing you Well & Happy
If you’re not already signed and would like to receive further Newsletters from me please click here.